Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christian Cliches That Need To End VII: Throwing Around the Word "Heretic"

There is probably a good number of people who never had to spend time with young, excitable Christians who are just beginning a deeper study and understanding of their faith.  Those people will have no idea what I am talking about.  So to help them out here is a very real dialogue I had with a freshmen in college a few years back.
To set the stage: he had a book with him about tactics for evangelism, figuring that was a good conversation starter on my way to get to know this kid (I wanted to get to know him because I was starting a guys college ministry and was working to brings guys into the fold) and since I had actually read this particular book I had an actual frame of reference.  Of course instantly all those hopes were crushed when he threw out the word...

Me: Hey man, I'm Tyler.
Freshman: Hi, I'm Freshman McTeenager.
Me:  What's going on?
Freshman:  Just reading.
Me:  What do you think of that book?
Freshman: I don't know...
Enter a few cute girls to the table we were sitting at... Mr. McTeenager's face lights up and he starts really engaging in the conversation now that there is an audience that's nicer to look at than I am.
Freshman:  I just don't really agree with what he's saying.
Me:  The author?
Freshman:  Yes!
Here I am working on winning a gold metal in holding my tongue - not wanting to be too insulting (but really wanting to be...) by pointing out that the author has a PhD and has been a leader in teaching people to evangelize for longer than this student has been alive - and try instead for a more patient approach.
Me:  What don't you agree with?
Freshman:  Well the author argues that we should be doing more relational evangelism - getting to know people over a period time and showing them who Christ is through our life and in our conversations.  He says that street witnessing is, generally, not as effective and we should be spending the greater amount of our time doing this relational evangelism.
there is a minor hint of disdain when he says these last two words.
Me:  Okay... and... you disagree with that?
Freshman:  Yes!!!
Me:  Because...
Freshman:  Because its totally unbiblical!
here is where I totally lose the gold metal in tongue holding...
Me:  You can't say that at all!  He's presenting a perspective on how to reach people, there is not just one way that works for everyone.  You may disagree with his method's effectiveness but that doesn't mean he's...
Freshman:  Its heretical!
OK.  We're going to bring this conversation to a close with his final statement for two reasons 1.) I'm concerned already that most people are going to get distracted by the topic Freshman McTeenager (that wasn't really his name) and I were discussing and it will be all anyone actually thinks about when what I really want to do is examine our use of the word heresy - if I were a better/less lazy writer I would have been able to avoid this all together but this is what you're stuck with.  2.)  Conversations like this are often circular; to elaborate on what was said any further would just be redundant. The main points are made. 

On to an examination of heresy.  Anyone who is studying theology has to interact with the word.  Anyone who has ever thought about studying theology (meaning you never actually picked up a theology book but you heard someone describe a theological topic and you jumped to a rash conclusion based on... well I'm not really sure...) finds the word to be romantic and appealing.  Its one of the great words that adds gravity to any conversation.  One doesn't easily throw that word out in conversation, therefore it gives the user power and the appearance of distinction.  The well intentioned pseudo-theology student wields it like a child with a gun, fully aware of its majesty while fully ignorant of its power or the responsibility it requires.

When I told my mentor at the time about my frustrating conversation with the freshman he provided equal parts humor and support.  He made a great observation: one should not be allowed to conclude that something is, in fact, heresy until they have actually spent time studying the historical creeds; until then you're traveling blind.  This is the general advice I offer to anyone now when a conversation like this even is hinted at.  The word does carry weight and until we understand its power and purpose we should use it with great trepidation - meaning you should only use it as an echo of wiser people who have used it (meaning if D.A. Carson, John Piper, Francis Chan, C.J. Mahaney, or R.C. Sprouls uses the word regarding a certain teaching or teacher you can quote them). 

I would not want to completely discourage anyone from ever using the word, if there is a teacher or teaching that is going against Scripture and leading people away from the Gospel of Christ they need to be declared for what they are.  False teachers need to be pointed out and false teachings need to be denounced while correct teachings are proclaimed.  But all that is to be done with a humble heart and an understanding of the great weight one bears when declaring something heretical.  And I don't think people who use this word flippantly understand exactly what it is they are saying.  Essentially, by declaring something heretical you are saying that not only is the teaching outside of Biblical Christianity but that those who hold to that teaching are outside of the fellowship of the Church, they are not true believers but are among the deceived.  Taking it a step further, it is inferred that these people are actually enemies of the Gospel because they pull people from the truth and love of Christ.  See how that's not something to mess with?

A few years ago my friend was looking at grad schools to go to and she was telling me her options.  One of the schools I knew very little about outside of what other people said about it so I did some research to get a better idea the school's theological position.  In looking at the school I was led to researching their president  Mr. Jerry Falwell which brought me to this video:

After watching this video I told my friend that the grad school program she was looking at seemed like a good fit for her, but she should know that her soon-to-be-president said I was going to hell.  Just as I didn't want to get distracted by evangelism techniques above I'd prefer not to get wrapped up in discussing limited atonement here.  If you're interested in understanding more I'd be happy to talk about it, but defending it here is beyond my reach in this particular essay.  Hopefully for this conversation it is enough to say that limited atonement is one of the main teachings of Reformed theology that is help by pretty much all Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed Baptists, and others.  Admittedly it is the most controversial of the five points of Calvinism, but I think mostly that is so undergraduate theology students can have something to talk about (I'm not knocking it, I'm one of those people).  Not only is Jerry Falwell ripping on me (and really, who am I?), he's calling out John Calvin, Charles Spurgeon, Richard Baxter, Thomas Cromwell, Jonathan Edwards, and many others who spent their lives defending the truth we hold so dear.  We're all thrown under the bus together.  I'm in good company.

There are certainly times when declaring something to be heresy is appropriate.  As I've said before, Christian theology was often written about and defined as a response to heresy.  But those times are infrequent and require extensive prayer, study, and thought (in that order).  My favorite professor once told my class that we have no business even thinking about trying to write a Systematic Theology until we're at least in our 40's and have a lot of study and life experience behind us.  I think the same principle can be applied to using the word heresy.  If you haven't read the major creeds and confessions of the Church, much less having read the whole of Scripture you should probably put the breaks on declaring someone a heretic.  Many heroes of the faith were martyred as a result of being falsely accused of being heretics; ts not something to be flippant about.  Saying you disagree ought to be sufficient.  Just stick with that for now.

Interested in more Christian Cliches That Need To End?  I conveniently linked to all of them here:
I: Using the Word Christendom in place of Christians or Christianity
II: Saying "Its God's Will" As A Reason To Break Up
III: Saying Brian Regan Is Funny.
IV: Calling Me Brother
V: Saying "Its not about a religion, its a relationship"
VI: Romanticizing Persecution
Not interested at all in anything else I wrote?  Click the "x" at the top right hand corner.

No comments: